[no subject]

Holly asks about user studies of a web site.  I've noticed that
some archivists have counters on the website to get an idea
of numbers.   In our library, Special Collections has a home
page (or series) that are really just a what-we-are and how-to-
find us, rather than being an online catalog.    Our webmaster
uses a sophisticated program that identifies how many page
hits occur each month, the ISP sources which help identify
states, and countries....and for a number of months, the
Special Collections pages were the highest hits outside of
the general library page (which leads immediately to the
online card catalog).    I am frankly unable to tell from many
users exactly what led them to Special Collections...sometimes
it is a "catalog" entry, a reference in a guide, the LDS website
catalog, RLIN, etc.    There is no question, however, that our
homepage/website has saved us a small fortune in PRINTING!

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338