Need help! Need tips!

Where to begin!!

I want to change my career to the archival field-right away.  I live in
Northern California and I was thinking of taking distance learning classes.
I'm nervous.  The closest graduate program in Library Science is in San
Jose (which has an option of Archival Studies)which is about four hours
away, but I don't know of anybody who has gone there.  I hear that the
University of Illinois ranks the best;  unfortunately the classes are
filled up for the Fall. The tuition is over $4000!  The University of Rhode
Island has a program that has a double masters degree.  That would take
about seven years!  It too is expensive.  Unfortunately,  it is probably
too late to get any scholarships/grants for the Fall semester.  The only
college that I can afford is San Jose University.  I can still apply. It is
$645 a course.

By the middle of next month, I could send in an application to San Jose
University.  I need to gather stuff together (letters, transcripts, etc.)I
don't know if I can get my transcripst to them in time. I need to check if
it has been reaccredited too.

If San Jose U. is accredited, would you recommend it?  Should I just wait
until I can get a scholarship/grant to a better university?  Should I just
take some classes at the local community college in Library Science?

I'm going to be submitting an application to the county for the librarian
jobs that are available.  I heard that if you work as a librarian in the
state that the state will give you a discount if you get a masters degree.

Here are some other questions thatI have:

1. What are some of the best places to work?  Any place in particular?
2. What are the disadvantages to working in the archival field?
3. What things do I have to look out for?
4. Are there any great workshops that could be recommended?
5. What things don't they teach you in school?
6. What are some of the best organizations? What are the worst?
7. What can I do to get prepared?
8. Are there any books that you can recommend?
9. How is the job security in the archival field?
10. Is there a high burnout rate in this field?
11. Are there any great job overseas?
12. What is typical entry pay?
13. What are considered the boring aspects to the job? (This is probably
too subjective of a question)
14. Does anybody know anything about the colleges around the nation and in
other countries?  What are the advantages/disadvantages to each school?
Are there any professors to avoid? What schools have problems?  What can I
expect?
15. Should I be thinking about my thesis now?
16. The University of Illinois has the best M.L.S., but is it good for the
archival field as well?
17. What is the best school for the archival field?
18. Should I just go after a certificate in the meantime rather than a
masters degree?
19.  Does anybody know anything about the Cultural Resource Management
program at the University of Victoria in British Columbia?  Has anyone
heard anything about the University of British Columbia?

Any information would be grateful!