Re: Use Fees

I want to thank everyone who replied to my query on and off list.

I received nine personal replies.  Most of the institutions reflected
make no distinction between local and outside media.  They charge use
fees to both.  Only one person mentioned exempting local media.  The
exceptions are interesting:  Use fees are not applied to PBS,
non-profits, or in the case of local media, for current news items
(although they are applicable for feature items).

One institution charges local daily newspapers $40 per photo, whereas a
weekly pays $25 "because they buy consistently."  Another reply
mentioned a $25 use fee for non-profits.  Still another mentioned
charging an advertised use fee of $50 an image, with an unadvertised
rate of $25 per image.  The highest use fee is a $250 royalty assessed
to television stations.

Use fees appear to reflect the archives' philosophy of service, its
clientele, and how much publicity is generated by the use.  More
expected publicity will often mean a lower use fee.

One individual mentioned the difficulty she has had in working with
television stations.  My institution has encountered similar problems in
having television stations properly cite our holdings (or cite them at
all).  The national networks have been much more diligent in properly
citing our holdings than some local affiliates.

The archives list is an excellent way to obtain free advice.  I highly
recommend it to those who have just signed on.

Casey Edward Greene
Head of Special Collections
Rosenberg Library
2310 Sealy