ANNOUNCEMENT: Archives Week in British Columbia, November 19-25, 2000

Archives Week, November 19-25, 2000
Community Archives in BC: Preserving Local Memories

The Archives Association of British Columbia is pleased to announce that the
BC Government has agreed to proclaim the province's first Archives Week, to
be held November 19-25, 2000.  To provide support for archival institutions,
we have developed an extensive Archives Week website.  It is a rich resource
that provides background material, draft press release,
activity suggestions, a BC Archives Week quiz, and a host of media
connections.

The website can be found at: http://aabc.bc.ca/aabc/archweek

Archives Week has been established to mark the accomplishments of British
Columbia's community archives network; and to demonstrate to the public that
archives are the foundation from which our society maintains continuity with
our past, and preserves the present for future generations.

Archives Week provides an exciting opportunity for all archival institutions
in the province to promote the value of archives to members of their local
communities, funders, supporters, and the general public.  We hope that many
institutions will use this public awareness opportunity by arranging for
special displays and activities, and by working with local organizations in
your communities such as schools, libraries, and museums.

To assist with promotion, the AABC has produced a poster which we have
distributed to all archives, libraries, museums, historical societies, and
junior and senior schools in the province.  We are proud of the poster, and
think some people may want to order extra ones as souvenirs.  Unfolded
posters are available for a $5.00 postage and handling fee. If you would
like to order one, please contact me (Jane Turner, e-mail jturner@uvic.ca).

The communication plan for Archives Week has been developed by the AABC
Public Awareness, Advocacy and Legislation Committee, with the financial
assistance of the Community Archives Advisory and Training program, through
the Ministry of Advanced Education, Training and Technology.

Have a happy Archives Week!

Sincerely,

Jane Turner

Public Awareness Advocacy and Legislation Committee
Jane Turner, Chair
David Mattison
Richard Dancy
Peter Johnson
Bryan Klassen
George Brandak

Posted to the ARCHIVES Listserv by David Mattison on behalf of

Jane Turner, President
Archives Association of British Columbia

Tel: (250) 721-8215  Fax: (250) 721-8215
Email: jturner@uvic.ca

AABC website: http://www.aabc.bc.ca/aabc/