Re: Exhibition Workshop Advice

Fernanda and Christine and others interested in
exhibits  --

Check out this link:
http://www.aaslh.org/educatio.htm

I'm more familiar with the American Association for
State and Local History publications which are
excellent and highly practical but I've heard lots of
good comments from people who've attended their
workshops and annual meetings.

You might also check with your state museum to see if
they have any programs aimed at the smaller museums
and historical societies in the state.

If there is a state museum association they probably
have a list of people willing to consult or present a
workshop that would be tailored to your needs.
Chances are there are a number of libraries and
archives in your area that would benefit from a
workshop and you could pool resources to pay the
speaker's expenses.

Our exhibits staff and conservators frequently do
workshops or consult for smaller museums in Wisconsin.
 Not every museum wants to put a T. rex on display or
create a Costa Rican rain forest -- they address
practical issues like mount-making, case design,
labels and lighting.

The SAA's Museum Archives Section may also able to
help.  Sarah Demb at the Peabody Museum is the chair.
She runs a listserv for the group. I don't have the
address at home where I'm writing this from but if you
check SAA's website, there should be info about
subscribing or contacting Sara there.

Finally, the American Association of Museum's annual
meeting is coming up in May in St. Louis -- the
program is on their web site:
http://www.aam-us.org/index.htm

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives