Government Archiving Regulations

I'm a temporary subscriber to this list and thought this group might be
able to answer the following question:

Does anyone know of any specific directives or requirements within the
U.S. Government (e.g., Dept. of Defense, OMB, or the National Archives)
directing the length of time that electronic files and e-mail must be
kept by Federal agencies?  I work with a government educational facility
and they presently are keeping backup data for a minimal amount of
time.   After hearing about missing White House e-mails, etc. in the
press, I would like to think the government has taken some action in
this area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

C. Kendall
kendall_chuck@bah.com