Re: Time magazine article/ use of Archives

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean DeBolt [mailto:ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 11:52 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Time magazine article/ use of Archives

The latest issue of Time magazine online is about Alzheimer's and
the study of a group of nuns, with the idea of looking at a group of
individuals with common lifestyle, diet, etc. to see what factors would
or would not lead to Alzheimers.    I've attached the link, and also a
brief excerpt....what struck me was the comment "Everything changed
when we found the archives"....

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,108789,00.html
"Everything changed when we discovered the archives," says Snowdon.
Because the records were relatively standardized, Snowdon could extend his
study of aging far beyond the few years in late life that such studies
traditionally cover. Most precious of all were the autobiographies written
by each sister on her entry into the order. They were full of basic
information about where the sisters were born, who their parents and
siblings were, and why each one decided to join the order. With these
documents, moreover, Snowdon now had an objective measure of the sisters'
cognitive abilities while they were still young and in their prime. An
epidemiologist could not have designed a better way to evaluate them across
time.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338