Re: Cabinets against outer wall

In the Upper Midwest, the majority of the violent
storms that can send rains in through window fittings
and cracks come from a westerly direction.  In the
northeast, I'd imagine the walls on the east side of a
building would be more vulnerable.  I'm trying to
remember, it's been a while since I've experienced a
proper nor'easter.

I would not store any important files -- whether in
paper, microfilm, or electronic formats-- in filing
cabinets against any outer wall. In answer to Vonnie's
original question below, I'd move the cabinets and
shelves regardless of the amount of hard labor and
disorientation this will cause for all involved.

Lots of people don't have this option so I'm adding a
few points gleaned from more than 25 years of living
with concrete block walls that freeze in winter and
radiate heat in the summer.

Consider which direction the majority of severe storms
in your area come from and either avoid putting
cabinets up against these walles, or put your most
disposable stuff there (office supplies, maybe?)
Contact the building supervisor, property manager,
City Engineer or whomever is the appropriate person in
your organization and ask him/her to install (the
most) waterproof barrier (possible) between the
cainets and the wall.  Leave some space between the
wall and the cabinets and check the contents
regularly.  If you open a file cabinet drawer and
smell a damp, moldy smell, you'll know where you've
got a problem.  Shift things from that cabinet asap.

Judy Turner
Director, Library and Archives
Milwaukee Public Museum

--- Catherine Bruck <bruck@IIT.EDU> wrote: