-----Original Message-----
From: Jones, Virginia

From: Rick Barry
<snip> "But I think we all have to be reminded that records can be used to
defend our positions as well as challenge them. "

I agree with Rick.  In the past 10 years, there has been a large amount of
emphasis on the "records kept too long may be used against you" aspect of
Records Management, and not enough emphasis on the "entire life cycle value
of records" concept.  I was taught (in my distant youth) that a records
manager is responsible for helping to identify potentially historically
significant records during the retention value assignment process.  These
records are assigned a "permanent" retention, meaning not a permanent
electronic address or until I retire but for as long as we are capable of
protecting, preserving and maintaining them using known methods and
technologies where applicable.  This one of the basic four values that must
be reviewed during the retention value assignment process -
historical,administrative, fiscal and legal.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, MIT/LIT)
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA