Re: documentation of an event in progress

Dear Marcia and all:
        What a sad time. Out here in the heartland we are all still in
shock. In the future English dictionaries will have a new definition of
"terror", 9/11/2001. But you make a very good point. History will remember
these events through what archivists collect and preserve and what
historians interpret. As archivists, we have a role to play. I am collecting
newspaper coverage (for future microfilming), other may be collecting audio
and video tapes, material from the internet, etc. Others might be keeping a
personal journal. Later will come the oral history, collecting personal
photos, etc.
Let us all make this the best documented act of horror and terror in history
of the world.

Russell P. Baker, CA
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-6900
russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>