Re: documentation of an event in progress

Russell Baker struck an interesting chord concerning documentation of this
important tragedy.  Perhaps archivists and historians should strive to get
some media coverage (lord knows the media are constantly rooting about for a
story or angle) encouraging citizens to keep a record of their
reactions/feelings as events unfold.  Perhaps they might set up folders
about a particular event and filing their relevant email into it (and later
printing it all out) may be an angle.  It seems that much of this is also
"psychologically correct" (we should be in cahoots with the psychologists)
in helping people deal with horror and tragedy.

As an archivist of a veteran's research center, I feel professional sadness
in that we will have yet another war to document.  I've just sent an email
to my supervisor asking him if I might send on a department-wide email to
Wis Dept. of Veterans Affairs staff suggesting they consider documenting
this event.  I plan on writing a short article about it for our next
newsletter.  Could we discuss this for a bit as I'd like suggestions for
other documentation strategies from the archival listserv community?

 Gayle Martinson
Archives Collection Manager
Wisconsin Veterans Museum
30 W. Mifflin Street