Re: Corporate Generosity

In today's Wall Street Journal, a story on p A13 talks about Lilly
Endowment, GE, Cisco, $30M, $10M, $4M, respectively. Those donations...how
do they compare to corporate bonuses?!

I was attending a workshop at Univ of TN-Knoxville when the tragedy
occurred. Students turned out in droves to donate blood. Being a tad over a
century-old now, having lived through the '60's, the Cold War, Viet Nam, and
a few other calamaties along the way, I sensed some coming-of-age in many of
the students glued to the televisions around campus. This event is of the
scale of JFK's death in 1963, at least for me.

As one who travels to Europe fairly often, airlines security is so much
better there. Don't know if some of you remember the three jumbo's hijacked
to a middle-eastern desert in late 1970 or so.....I recall one was a
Lufthansa, another a UK airlines, and another a US carrier...all the
passengers and crew freed, but the three jumbos were blown up. I flew to
Greece a few months later, with very strict security leaving UK, and
soldiers, with submachine guns, all over Athens airport. A tent, reminiscent
of one from King Arthur's court, was set up for all women to be frisked down
by women Greek police officers. Inconvenient? Heck, no, not if it means I
get there safely.

European airlines have more stringent regs regarding cockpit doors (a major
topic in today's WSJ), and black box requirements are more stringent as
well. An aclaimed British series (I think it was a series) on black
boxes/airline accidents/etc., got little press in this country, I'm sorry to
say.  I don't wish to fuel a debate, as I am no mood for one, but we have
plenty of room for improvement in airline security. I recently read a book
by a former FAA official who pointed out many shortcomings within domestic
airlines/FAA. Read it and weep.

If one goes to a major UK airport, there are numerous areas where one can be
filmed, etc. A ticket kiosk where one can prepay a short-term parking fee
is, I think, very well camera-d, and you have only so long to remove the car
from the premises, going through another machine which reads this ticket
generated when you pop coins or notes in to pay your fee. If the vehicle is
not out of there in a certain time, somebody comes looking. And when in the
airport, security people are very visible.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212