Re: The Effect of Ebay on Man in the Moon Marigolds

For the last decade if not longer, I have been associated with
the Pensacola Historic Preservation Society which meets for
monthly history meetings as well as maintains and preserves
Pensacola's oldest house on its original site (1805-1810).  Six
years ago, we began an Antique Appraisal Fair on Labor Day
weekend, at least one or two years before the Antiques Roadshow
on PBS.    In conjunction with an area association of antique
dealers, we charge a small entrance fee which permits an
appraisal of one item and a second fee depending on the
number of additional items.   The dealers contribute their time
and expertise and the income is used to benefit the Society
and maintain the house.

Each year the crowds have intensified and it looks like a mini-
Roadshow.  The September 1, 2001 event brought 500-600
people.   The dealers have sometimes turned to me to help
with paper materials and I have seen my share of printed
Lincoln Inaugural Addresses and Constitutions and Declarations.

On several occasions, in talking with people, I have given them
my business card.   These individuals express an interest first
in just knowing if something they had was worth preserving and
second if there would be a good home for it.   They are the minority
as they don't want to sell the item, money not being important.
These people have often later brought me books and other materials
to the University...

But on the other hand, I've had more folks contact me and ask if
the University will BUY something from them.   My one heartache
was the lady who came in with a bound folio, 15th-16th century,
of music ... a chant book that her WWII husband had "liberated"
from the remains of a monastery/church in Europe.   The dealer
assured her that if cut up they could fetch up to $1000 per illuminated
leaf.   I gave her my card and said such items should be in libraries
and museums for the benefit of all.   I never heard from the lady
again, but perhaps somewhere the volume and my card are still
intact.

The unfortunate effect of ebay has been to make the average
person realize that ephemera has some value and made it harder
for some archivists to acquire gift items over buying them.   The
good aspect is that people seem less likely to casually toss
materials, and ebay has actually helped some of us find elusive
items taken to other parts of the U.S. by our continually-moving
migrating ancestors.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338