Re: german translation

"Pope, Barbara" wrote:

> We have an uncataloged book which has been in our archives for quite some
> time, I think, judging by its condition.  It is entirely in German and I was
> wondering if someone out there reads German well enough to let me know
> generally what the subject matter might be.
>
> The first page that looks like it might be a title page says:
>
> Wochenbande fur bas geiftige und materielle Wohl des Deutfchen Dolfes.
> Herausgegeben don der Gefellfchaft zur Verbreitung guter und wohlfeiler
> Bucher. Rit einer Renge von Ubbilbungen.  Stuttgart, 1846.  Erpedition der
> Wochenbande.

Here's what I suspect is a better transliteration:

Wochenbande fuer das geistige und materielle Wohl des Deutschen Volkes.
Herausgegeben von der Gesellschaft zur Verbreitung gueter und wohlfeiler
Buecher. Mit einer Menge von Urbildungen. Stuttgart, 1846. Expedition der
Wochenbande.

In English that would be something like:

Weekly volume for the spiritual and material well-being of the German people.
Published by the Society for the Distribution of Good and Inexpensive Books.
With a number of originals. Stuttgart, 1846, the office of the Weekly volume.

> The next page says:
>
> Die Gchupfung in ihrer herrlichkeit. Fine gemeinfabliche Finleitung in die
> Wiffenfchaften. Uus dem Englifchen von Dr. Franz Kottenkamp. Rit dielen
> Abbilbungen. Stuttgart : Erpedition der Wochenbande, 1846.

Here's another alternative transliteration:

Die Schoepfung in ihrer herrlichkeit. Eine gemeinsamliche Einleitung in die
Wissenschaften. Aus dem Englischen von Dr. Franz Kottenkamp. Mit vielen
Urbildungen. Stuttgart: Expedition der Wochenbande, 1846.

In English this would be something like:

The creation in its glory. A basic [?] introduction to the science. [Translated]
from the English by Dr. Franz Kottenkamp. With many originals. Stuttgart: Office
of the Weekly volume, 1846.

This seems to be a periodical or series of some sort. The first page appears to
be the title for series as a whole, while the second page is the title of the
specific volume in your collection.

My German is far from fluent, so I could have missed the best meaning of some
words. At any rate, this will get you much closer than you were at first.

--
Kevin Enns-Rempel, Archivist
Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies