Re: Bizarre reference request, part 2

Our laws are probably a bit different here in NH.  We charge a state fee for
the "search."  If we have the record, they obtain a certified copy of that
record.  If we do not have the record, we issue a certified letter which
states that we do not have the record on file in our office.

Not knowing the date of the marriage or the relationship of the requestor to
the parties, I am inclined to assume that there might be an "ulterior
motive" for the request -- maybe a family member wanting to know "the
truth."  I assume there is a fee involved for the record.  By your not
forwarding the record, they get the research information they want for free.

Here in NH we collect race information on our marriage license worksheets
for statistical purposes only. A certified copy of the marriage would not
show a person's race.

Although I can think of a lot of responses I would like to make to this
person, I would probably return the request with a statement to the effect
that "our fee is for the search and issuance of a record, if available.  If
we have the record, we would happy to fill the order.  Upon receipt you may
retain or dispose of that record as you wish."

Paul R. Bergeron
City Clerk
229 Main Street
Nashua, NH 03060