Re: Telephone Requests

Nancy - Because the US Geological Survey has quite a few geologists who
perform summer field work in Alaska, but live in regional centers outside
of Alaska, I often need to provide materials &/or information to off-site
researchers.  Requests come in via phone or e-mail.  In reply, I never send
original materials, only photocopies.   Sometimes, the requestor knows
exactly what he/she needs, other times I send a short list of possibilities
for them to winnow.   Hope this helps.    ttfn - jill.

Jill L Schneider
USGS - Alaska Technical Data Unit
907-786-7457
jschnidr@usgs.gov
http://alaskaminerals.wr.usgs.gov

                    Nancy Shader
                    <NShader@CSLIB.ORG>         To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &         cc:
                    Archivists                  Subject:     Telephone Requests
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    10/29/2001 07:44 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Nancy Shader

I need some help...

Administrators at the CT State Library (State Archives of CT) have raised
the issue of requesting archival materials to be paged by telephone
request.

They want researchers (who already have an archives pass) to be able to
call in and request materials. Staff would not hunt through the registers
to determine the correct box or volume*only requests with specific item
level information would be accepted.

Does anyone provide this type of service?

Please reply to me directly. If interested I will post results on the list.

Thank you,
Nancy

Nancy M. Shader
Archivist