How to Save an Archives?

I am posting this on behalf of a colleague not on the list. I think
similar questions have been posted to the list, but I haven't been able
to find much information in a search. The person I am posting for is an
archivist at an historical society in a small community with a very rich
history. The society has operated a museum of the history of the
community for the last forty years or so -- managed seasonally by a
temporary curator. About five years ago, the group decided to begin an
archives program, hiring a year-round, part-time archivist/librarian, to
better manage the collection. This collection is housed in a converted
residence next door to the museum. (A small portion of the house is
maintained as spartan living quarters for temporary employees.) In my
opinion (for what it's worth) and the opinion of others, this has worked
out well -- the collection is better arranged, better maintained, and
there is knowledgeable reference assistance for the public, among other
qualities. However, others in management, using the cost vs. benefit
argument, are arguing for "downgrading" the archives -- moving the
materials into less accessible storage, perhaps even eliminating some of
the collection, and assigning any remaining archival duties to the
museum curator, and thus freeing the house to be used as income property
or as an enticement for future curators. Obviously, the archivist is not
happy with this idea, and would like to present a strong argument
against this proposal to the board of directors. What we are asking from
you is advice and supporting documentation to argue the case for keeping
the archives as is -- within the community it serves, offering immediate
and thorough support for the museum's programs and exhibits, and with
the resources readily at hand, rather than in a distant, less accessible
repository (or worse).  Does anybody have any similar experience they
can relate (positive or negative)? Can you think of any citations from
the professional literature that might help to present this argument?
Any other ideas?
You may reply to me or to the list. I'll pass on what I learn to those
who are interested.
Thanks for your help. (P.S. - As you probably have figured, I'm speaking
of an archives in the colloquial sense, i.e., a collection of historical
materials describing a community, not all being the records of the
organization.)

--
Ron Davidson
Archives/Reference Librarian