Re: Pots and kettles (was RE: Response to Tom Eisinger re: Jobs Requi ring CA)

1/14/02

      Thanks to terry baxter for the info. on the library poll.  I plan to check it out when I have time later.  I have worked as both a non-professional library worker and as a professional librarian (post MLS) in my work experience and I can say that there is a definite difference in job responsibilities and salary between non and professional jobs.  Isn't that the case among archives jobs, too?

        I can appreciate your feeling that one person's invaluable credential...( etc.) is another's waste of time...however, the main point of all of this discussion is to argue the importance or need for an additional credential because the graduate degree with archives training is the minimum requirement promoted for a minimally trained professional archivist.  There will always be non-professional archivists, just as there are non-professional librarians, etc.   Aren't we all trying to promote appropriate and adequate training so that qualified archivists make the critical, on-the-job archives judgements?  As we all know, if "archives are forever," then bad archival judgements are too.  I really wish that an exam process was such a simple cure-all--but I feel that only good degree programs, continuing education courses, and current professional conferences can fully educate our professional members in an ongoing basis.  Lucinda

Lucinda  Manning
UFT Archives & Records Cneter
United Fed. of Teachers
260 Park Ave. South