Printers, again

Greetings--I'm grateful for the earlier replies about the longevity of inkjet "archival" ink, but remain in some perplexity, which hasn't been lessened any by the advice of our IT folks.  Replies from the list advised me as follows:  1) "archival" ink is indeed long-lived as advertised (over 100 years) and as Wilhelm Research's tests confirm; 2)  "archival" ink's longevity is not really known;  3)  only a laser printer gives truly long-lasting results, so forget inkjets.

Now our IT people tell me that  laser printing will last as long as the paper it is printed on, which in the case of Permalife or similar is 300 years.  Is this true?

I am to have a new printer, if all goes well, and need to be very clear about what I need.  I've convinced some of the IT people that I don't care much about speed and don't plan to make hundreds of copies a day, that I want to be able to make accurate copies that will last for centuries.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the collective wisdom of the list.  I'm a long arranger in a small college archives and value very much all I've learned and enjoyed from everyone.

Jean Richter
Edgewood College Archivist

P.S.  I've explained to the Powers That Be that another approach is for IT to guarantee that they will migrate all archival electronic material from one platform to another each time this is needed by a change of hardware or software into the infinite future.  This did not please the Powers as a prospect.