Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: RAIN Drop - another sign of complications for archivists

No, that's really not accurate or fair. Foveon has been one of the "little guys" that has been changing the face of serious digital photography. One of the largest portrait studios in Texas (and they are not a small company, believe me...I'll gladly supply names off-line) has been using the Foveon cameras for at least three years and Carver's claims about the capability of his new chips are NOT an exaggeration.

These are not the inexpensive digital cameras that we see being hyped so heavily; the earlier Foveon II camera sold for roughly $25,000 and uses Canon 35 mm interchangeable lenses for some stunning results. If you know about Cruse, Leaf and PhaseLight, then you understand the level of hardware here. I have seen the portraits done with these cameras and you would be hard-pressed to distinguish the prints from silver-based photographs done using medium format cameras at enlargements of 30" x 40".

As far as being a complication, well, I wish them luck because frankly I want one of their cameras for a copy camera for bound materials...

Dennis

Dennis Moser, MILS
Project Director, IMLS National Leadership Grant
Digital Imaging Faculty
Lee College
P.O. Box 818, Baytown, TX 77522-0818
(281)425-6819/(281)425-6557 (fax)