Re: Archiving Digital Images

In our Collection Management System (MAVIS) we have developed the
capacity to manage four categories of an image:

Preservation : preferably a high res TIFF
Browsing : a low res JPEG (for web display)
Highlight/Preview : thumbnail

Now in most cases we won't have/make copies in all categories
(particularly the medium res) but the system is set up to handle it.

Also, if we only receive a JPEG then that becomes our Preservation
copy. It's the same as when, in the analog world, you may accept an
amateur snapshot if that's all that's available and the subject is
important enough to collect. I believe we all make these judgements
in our collecting activity - the less preferable the format (from a
preservation point of view) on offer, the more rigorously we tend to
apply our collection development policies.

We haven't yet had to deal with the proprietary issue but I believe
we would want to migrate it while the software was available - and
keep both versions as long as sensible/possible.

Cheers, Sue

  Sue Terry                      __  /\
                                /  \/  \     Manager, Documentation Development
   +61  2 6248 2180 (w)        /        \    Collections Branch
                             /         /    ScreenSound Australia
   +61  2 6248 2165 (fax)     \   __  */     Canberra ACT 2600
                               `-'  \_/
  sue_terry@screensound.gov.au

'The secret of survival is to embrace change, and to adapt' (Rohinton Mistry)