Re: Automated naming of scanned files?

I'll try to answer your questions as I understand them

Have you found a way to enter path and filename or just filenames for newly
scanned image-files into your cataloging in an automated or semi-automated
manner?

Yes, in our system path and file name are automatically entered into
the collection management system (MAVIS). What essentially happens is
that we manually enter some data, including the input file which is
the location from which the file being cataloged is coming (eg the CD
drive in our computer or one of the hard-disc drives that we have
saved the image/file to). Once this is done, we click on a button
called 'Put media file'. This automatically saves the file into its
permanent storage place (the place depends on the data we have
manually entered eg whether it is a Pres or Browsing etc copy,
whether it is an image or an audio file etc) and populates the
location field with its path/file name. This is fairly new but is
working pretty well it seems.

<SNIP> Do you export "cataloging" metadata from that software and
load it to your
main cataloging software periodically?  Or is the scanner linked directly to
your main cataloging software?

We save our images into our collection management system, ie attached
to their cataloguing record. When we enter the input file (see above)
the file-size, type (JPEG, TIFF), date copied (though this one is a
bit inaccurate it seems) fields are automatically entered from the
metadata on the digital item. We are working on loading in more
metadata from the item itself such as resolution, colour space, bit
depth etc etc.

Cheers, Sue

  Sue Terry                      __  /\
                                /  \/  \     Manager, Documentation Development
   +61  2 6248 2180 (w)        /        \    Collections Branch
                             /         /    ScreenSound Australia
   +61  2 6248 2165 (fax)     \   __  */     Canberra ACT 2600
                               `-'  \_/
  sue_terry@screensound.gov.au

'The secret of survival is to embrace change, and to adapt' (Rohinton Mistry)