Re: MOLD & MILDEW ON BOOKS

Unless one is a trained conservator, DO NOT do this. Bleaches is
used by conservators, when needed, but there are many risks.
Briefly, chlorine bleaches have to be washed out completely
otherwise the residues will cause damage. While not an acid
(bleaches are bases) a very high pH can cause the same kind of
damage as acid. This is not something to experiment with.

In terms of erasing mold off, the process will more likely grind the
mold spores in and spread them. Likewise, don't spray the pages
with Lysol, etc... See above.

The best way to control mold/mildew is with proper environmental
conditions.

Peter

> I would be skeptical of the "bleach" solution.   To my knowledge,
> bleach adds acidity to the paper materials and I've never seen this
> solution in any of the archives readings that I've done on
> preservation.   Can someone else on this list speak to the
> "correctness" of this suggestion?

> Dean

Peter D. Verheyen
Special Collections Preservation & Access Librarian / Conservator
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-9937
<mailto:pdverhey@library.syr.edu>