Re: Liberry Skule

At 08:33 AM 3/13/02 -0600, Amy wrote:

I'd like to know what people say when trying to explain what archivists do. Everyone must have a pat speech put to memory that they drag out at the doctor's office or cocktail party. How do you explain in 20-50 words or less what you do?
<<<<

That one's easy, although the questioner stands in danger of getting more than 20-50 words.

"I look after the documents of my school's history. We have a rich and entertaining past, that involves not only education but the industrial and political history of the town and the region going back to the early 19th century. Many of our students are fascinated by our history, of which they are a part. It makes the challenge of turning the archives into a teaching resource especially enjoyable."

Or something to that effect.

Oh, yes, and "I love my job."

Rick Teller
Archivist & Librarian