Re: Reference/Research Services

Emily (and list),

We receive both internal and external reference requests, but do not charge
fees to Bank staff.  External researchers tend to require more intense
research work on our staff's part, as well as supervision during their
visits, but they are not charged a fee to conduct research.  We only charge
them for photocopies at the rate of $.15 per copy, with the first hundred
free.  That may sound generous, but we get some awfully large copy orders.

As to photos, we sometimes loan prints (not negs.) to other internal
functions. Honestly, external users are more interested in our paperwork
than images of our stately building or - ahem - dashing staff.  The one
request for a photo of the building that I can recall was channeled through
Public Information, which, I believe, did not charge for use of the image
(it was an educational publication).

At this time we do not actively seek out or collect Fed-branded items.
However, we do have a small store serving employees, so my guess is that we
would have to pay for merchandise out of our budget, unless the store
manager wanted historical immortality for their mugs.

Joseph M. Komljenovich
Assistant Archivist
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Tel: (212) 720-8906
Fax: (212) 720-1749
joseph.komljenovich@ny.frb.org

Any comments or statements made in this transmission reflect the views of
the sender and are not necessarily the views of the Federal Reserve Bank of
New York.

                    Archives
                    <archives@NYJL.ORG>        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
                    Sent by: Archives &        cc:
                    Archivists                 Subject:     Reference/Research Services
                    <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.M
                    UOHIO.EDU>

                    03/19/2002 10:01 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Archives

Good Morning,

Our organization is in the process of reviewing our archive's reference
policies.  We would like to know from listserv subscribers what your
practices are regarding charging fees for your reference/research services.
These would include both external and internal reference/research requests.

A second question we have for listserv members concerns acquiring copies of
your organization's merchandise for its archives.  In short, are any of
your
budgets charged for copies of your organization's goods or memorabilia
(books, coffee mugs, tote bags, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Emily Legutko
The Junior League of the City of New York Archives
130 East 80th Street
New York, NY 10021