From: Jennifer King [mailto:Jking@CO.ARLINGTON.VA.US]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:40 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Cold Storage question

Hello Listserv,

I am in need of some expert advice.

We are planning on purchasing a frost-free freezer for the storage of our
color and black/white negatives and color prints.  The planned settings are
about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 40%.  My question
concerns the control of the RH. I doubt a standard freezer unit purchased
from Sears will have humidity control.  If the RH is too high will lowering
the temperature be enough to get the RH under control?  Does anyone know
about humidity control systems for freezer units?

We will have the material in standard acid free boxes and in heavy-duty
freezer bags. Is this enough to act as a humidity barrier?

Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer King
Archivist
Arlington County Public Library
Virginia Room