Re: Cold Storage question

This is a recent topic of discussion on the AMIA listserv, and there is
quite a long thread available in the AMIA archives at
http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/amia-l.html
The consensus was that preconditioning film with low humidity to remove
excess moisture is the best option, but the moisture barrier being used is
one of the recommended ways to freeze. Either way, it's very important to
thaw slowly under circumstances of low humidity and watch for condensation.
See the work of Henry Wilhelm (Image Permanence Institute) and Mark
McCormick-Goodhart (Smithsonian Institution--publication list available at
their site). URLs, commercial packaging for freezing, and publication
information for sources were given in the AMIA thread.
Arel
--------------------
At 10:53 AM 3/21/2002 -0500, Daniel Sokolow wrote:
>Can't remember the details, so I'm going to suggest you check the list
>archives, <snip>
>The other thing I remember is that you need to be careful when removing
>items from the freezer to see to it they are brought up to room temperature
>slowly, I think to prevent condensation. Might want to check the archives
>on that one too.
>
>DS
><snip>
> > We are planning on purchasing a frost-free freezer for the storage of our
> > color and black/white negatives and color prints. The planned settings
> > are about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 40%. My
> > question concerns the control of the RH. I doubt a standard freezer unit
> > purchased from Sears will have humidity control. If the RH is too high
> > will lowering the temperature be enough to get the RH under control? Does
> > anyone know about humidity control systems for freezer units?
> >
> > We will have the material in standard acid free boxes and in heavy-duty
> > freezer bags. Is this enough to act as a humidity barrier?
> >
> > Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Jennifer King
<snip>
Arel Lucas
Tobacco Control Archives
Library and Center for Knowledge Management
University of California San Francisco
http://www.library.ucsf.edu/tobacco/