Access/Research fee survey, PLEASE respond

Hello,
I am a student at the University of Washington currently pursuing master's
degree in Library and Information Science.  I am working on a project and
I have had a difficult time finding the answers that I have been looking
for so I thought I'd try this list and see if any of you could help me.  I
am trying to find out how various organizations deal with requests for
research/access/documents from the public.  That is, when someone calls or
visits your museum, archive or library and asks you for some research help
or requests copies of documents (to the extent that the law allows, that's
a whole other question that I'm not working on right now) or wants access
to some part of your collection that is not already on public display,
what is your response?  I imagine that responses would range from "No, we
don't provide that service."  to "Yes, we'll do that and this is how much
it will cost you." to "Sure, that's what we're here for, no charge."  This
information has been the easiest for me to obtain from public libraries
(most of which seem to only charge for shipping and copying costs, if
that) and the most difficult to find from FOR-PROFIT institutions.  I have
had a few responses from non-profit museum-type organizations.  As I was
writing to individual institutions, however, it occurred to me that I
might reach many of the people that I would be writing to anyway with one
email to this list.  If any subscribers out there could send me stats
about your institutions policies on this topic, that would be great.
Alternatively, or in addition, if any of you know of published articles
that present a survey of any kind on this subject, that would also be
wonderful.
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give,
John Vosmek