Re: WW II German Prisoner of War Records

Records relating to German POWs held in the United States are readily available
at the US National Archives.  There are several collections that you might find
useful.  Files relating to the administration of different POW camps can be
found in RG 338, records of US Army commands.  The War Manpower Commission
records in RG 211 include materials on the use of German POW labor in the United
States, especially in agriculture.  There may also be some records in RG 389,
records of the Army Provost Marshall General.  Another useful source might be
judicial records from the Army Judge Advocate General in RG 153.  Finally,
NARA's Still Pictures Branch contains many photographs dealing with the life of
German POWs held in the US, including several large collections found in RG 111,
records of the Army Signal Corps.

James H. Lide
Director, International Division
History Associates Incorporated