Re: Profiting from digital images

Should have replied to this last week but was too busy hauling bags of money away from our profits from our digital images!  Yeah right; actually though we do recover some of our costs of our scanning operations through selling digital images on CD; licensing use of the images we own to publications and broadcasters; and selling thermal prints of our digitized images.  (can't make any profits since we're an elyomosynary--"not for profit"--institution).  I can't give figures but it was enough over a couple of years to pay for our fancy Kodak printer, and has helped us in the budgetary battles that are always a feature of academic libraries.  Haven't tried posters or notecards yet although that's not a bad idea; I tried to interest the Athletic Dept. in advertising copies of our old football films on video in their programs but haven't had much luck with that so far.

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections Dept.
J. Willard Marriott Library