Re: [SANET-MG] BBC NEWS | UK | England | Tyne/Wear | Researchers hail organic potatoes

In the area of phytophthera there isn't a lot I can contribute except
my experience in my own garden - for legal reasons I am a government
registered potato grower in the garden at Sonairte and therefore
cannot save my own potato seeds for more than one year

What prompted Ireland's legislature to legislate that?

Ireland derives a lot of income from potato breeding and international sales of virus free seed potatoes. It has therefore legislated that all commercial potato production must be registered and does occasional spot checks for disease on all holdings. In order to prevent a build up of virus in farm saved domestic stocks the two year rule has been introduced - was four many years ago and has gradually been reduced. The registration scheme costs €20 a year per holding regardless of the quantity of potatoes produced. I used to see a lot of noticeably virus affected fields and these seem to have disappeared of late so perhaps it is working. But it certainly isn't doing anything towards adapting strains to growing on a particular holding

kathryn