[compost_tea] Re: microbial food

From: nehemiahlev <nehemiah_at_twelvetribes.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:47:28 -0000

I have had the same concern. I talked with Charlie Clark once and he
told me he adds hydrolized fish when he sprays. The amount was small
(I think he said one gallon per acre) so if the tea stays aerated it
probably isn't a problem). I liked the idea because it added
nutrients as well as being a funglal food so I tryed it. It smelled
fine, even at the end, so I felt safe. I suppose you could run DO
tests periodically while spraying. Working with Florida sand I am not
too confident of anything that doesn't have some long lasting
nutritional benefits. Besides the spray, it seems that some
ammendments would be helpful in many areas. I am guessing that most
people use a granular ferilizer in addition to their tea and compost.
I am really interested in the synergy of all this.
Ron

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Lmvine1_at_c... wrote:
> In a message dated 5/16/2003 10:34:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> nehemiah_at_t... writes:
> > There has been mentioning before of microbial food for after the
tea is
> > applied, but
> > very limited discussion.
> > I would sure like to here from the experience of others.
> > Ron
> >

> Good point Ron. I used CT on my soil last year and improved it some
BUT I
> believe (and Elaine also mentioned) long term food resources for
the
> organisms were not in the soil in sufficient quantity. My OM is
less than
> 1.5% and is not sufficient to feed the herd after innoculation with
CT.

> This year I am adding foods to my CT just before applying such as
HA,
> molasses, Saponyn and Kelp. Upon advice of Erik Morgan of Terra
Vita I am
> using a pound of SP-85 per acre per application of CT, much more
than I added
> previously. I am adding foods to tea just before topping off
sprayer and
> spraying. My only concern is if I cause the tea to go anerobic.
Of course

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/0PSxlB/TM