Re: [compost_tea] Re: moss

From: Autumn Scott <autumn_at_olympus.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:36:04 -0700

Hi, Laura,
Moss in lawns is a big problem every year in western Wash. Some of the
conditions that lead to moss are too much shade, compacted soil, excessive
thatch, and poor soil fertility. Unless the underlying causes are
addressed, moss will keep coming back.

There are products available with iron compounds that kill the moss, or
moss-killing soaps, then when the moss has turned black, either rake it out
or cover with an inch of compost. The lawn should be aerated with a core
aerator, and fertilized and reseeded. If you have acid soils, apply lime
each year. Eliminate as much shade as you can. These are the standard
recommendations in our area for dealing with moss. I would think AACT would
help decrease moss by reducing compaction and increasing
fertility. Autumn

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM