Re: [compost_tea] Re: Soak in a Bucket CT NO NO NO

From: Frank L Teuton <fteuton_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:10:24 -0400

For a good article on manure tea, see:

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/hortmag/Bruce/ManureTea.asp

In 'Bama they used to drink it:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/features/wabc_strange_070202manuretea.html

Is 'manure tea' when made from properly composted manure a problem? Methink=
s not....

Is 'manure tea' made from heated, dried manure a problem? Again, methinks n=
ot...

Would manure tea, made from fresh manure and applied to raw salad crops, be=
 a problem? Yes indeedy....

Would compost tea, made with inadequately composted manure, in an inadequat=
ely aerated brewer with nutrients added, and applied to salad ingredients, =
be a problem? Might well be.....

So do we need QA/QC protocols for making compost tea for application to raw=
 consumption crops? Yes, that seems reasonable....avoidance of inadequately=
 composted manure would be sensible....

Do we need to kill all the birds so they never crap on our crops?

That would be a fecophobic 'Silent Spring' scenario too monstrous to contem=
plate....

Does anyone know why the dawn chorus birdie likes to start under my window =
at 4:30 AM this time of year??

;-)

Frank---likes birds, but wishes his own little wild alarm clock feathered f=
riend would start sleeping later again...