[compost_tea] Re: ACT

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:44:11 -0000

Bill,

The thread started with the following statement form Kirk,

"So I still wonder if tea pumping (vs. air pumping) is a good idea.
Several
tea pump systems have also presented heating problems. It seems like
no
more than stirring the water mechanically and I can't see how it ADDS
any
oxygen. I can see that oxygen is released and I assume oxygen is being
taken in at the surface at the same time, but I can't see how oxygen
is
bolstered in any way. If organisms or the nutrient load are
challenging
oxygen conditions, it sure seems better to be pumping air into the
tea.
Hmm?
Is there data for this assertion somewhere? One of the best performing
machines out there seems to be the 5 gallon KIS unit. (A relatively
massive
air pumper, by the way, if you can stand the whine... an Alita AL40, a
linear air pump also available at aquaticeco.com, can produce the
same roil
much more peacefully... :-)

Kirk L"

I read air systems seem to be superior…
The next response in the thread from Bob was,

"Kirk, have you seen Kevin's report on a 50 g BobO at 80+ TF with
7+G TB, attained with Jeffs magic stuff ! All air driven. Bob"

All the data I remembered reading indicated (I went from memory since
the archive of ezines is gone again) systems using a combination of
air and a circulation pump were showing better results. Some of those
same results were achieved without inoculation of the compost.
Eliminating a process and utilizing a sustainable source of
vermicompost.
I buy vermicompost from American farmers and feel strongly about
supporting that market.

I think it's inappropriate for me to discuss any other posters agenda
or commitment to Act. But I have and will continue to enter the
discussion and point out what I see as inconsistencies and sales
pitches. I too sell ACT and related products, but continue to believe
this is NOT the appropriate forum. I find it interesting that none of
us seem willing to REALLY post any hard information, i.e. recipes and
ingredient lists. Somehow my attitude has lead to the implication
that results (tests) are not posted because I objected to
advertising. This is not my intent, and I don't believe I have been
that persuasive.

I too have seen some stunning if not unbelievable results. I often
find it difficult to temper my excitement, BUT I have become
succinctly aware of the dangers of running down the aisles
screaming, "I found it…". I am also learning there are many other
factors involved in my success with ACT. Soil development, organic
fertilizer usage, and distance (time away) from chemical use are
large factors. I apologize if my attitude is perceived, as anything
but wanting to see this technology grow. My sometimes-egocentric
attitude is really born out of my drive to see ACT a mainstream
horticulture and agricultural success.

I'm thrilled by the exuberance show by many posters; I'm also urging
caution as we move through the potential political pitfalls.

Success to all,
namaste
tomj

Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. h=
ttp://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM