Re: [compost_tea] compost tea and biodynamics

From: Allan Balliett <igg_at_igg.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:36:06 -0400

> > But remember that the preps are just ADDED to your compost or teas, as I
>understand. The preps are INOCULA that you use to add the right biology to
>your compost or compost tea as you are making the tea. Please realize that
>no biodynamic grower would use my terminology to explain what they are
>doing. They don't think of preps as inocula. That's a microbiologist
>adding their two cents worth in here. The preps are inocula, but BD
>practitioners don't think of them that way.

Thanks, Elaine!!

When are you speaking in Red Boiling Springs?

Both Steiner and Pfeiffer were aware of the inoculant characteristics
of the BD preps and went to pains to say that the effects they were
seeking with the use of the preps were NOT related to bacteria. To be
BD about this, we speak of 'forces,' formative forces. Look at Alex
Podolinsky's books to get a better idea of what effective BD
applications can accomplish in the soil. I don't think it can simply
be explained by bacteria.

>> But where I was getting to is, that a BD prep is not sprayed out the way
>you spray out a compost tea. You add the prep to the compost or the tea.
>Is that right Allan?

The BD500 (horn manure), BD501(Quartz) and BD508 (Horsetail) and
Barrel Compost are 'sprayed' onto the land itself. The other BD preps
are insterted into, or sprayed over, compost piles. (But experience
BD practitioners may make special useage of any of those preps
individually.)

BD discussion is on BD Now!. I'll sub you: send a request to
igg_at_igg.com with BD NOW! in the subject.

Allan

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM