Re: wash station

<<What have you found to be the most effective and efficient wash station
set-up for post-harvest, pre-distribution cleaning of produce? >>

The most we have done is 30+ shares. I built a 10x12ft washing/packing shed
by putting in upright cedar posts to define the area. Then, slab wood is
nailed around the structure to 3ft high. The 2 middle poles at the doorways
are 12ft tall. Nylon rope is run from pole to pole, then a large tarp is fit
to cover the roof and sidewalls. It is built this way to avoid taxes and
zoning laws.

Inside there are two double basin sinks, one at each end, on opposite sides.
Both sides have wire mesh countertops. We pick into 5 gallon buckets and
plastic totes. Things like carrots and potatoes have their buckets filled
with water right away so they can soak. Everytime my ATV is filled with
buckets, I put them in the shed, in the shade.

Leafy things are washed, then drained on the screen. Other stuff is swished
around in the sink. We ask our shareholders to fill out preference checklists
at the beginning of the season. On picking day we fill the plastic grocery
bags, then categorize them by family name. We pick one sort of bag...like the
corn bag for each family to write their name on with indelible marker. When
all the bags have been filled and sorted, we use a length of twine through
the handles to bundle up a family's share. Over the winter lots of folks save
all their bags for us!

Next, we cover everything with wet sheets and either jump in the creek or go
in the house for a bath and clean clothes. Then we come back outside, uncover
the bags, arrange them in the truck and deliver to each customer's fridge. We
only deliver to folks in the nearest 2 towns. Once a week a few families come
to the packing shed and pick up their orders. We just leave their bags under
wet sheets.

I've always wondered how other CSA's handle this stuff. I look forward to
hearing from more farms!        Wendy S. Martin   Peace and Carrots Farm
  Calais, Vermont