Re: Wheat and other Grains

>     I have a small CSA that I'm just really getting  off the ground.
>Believe it or not I have has several request for whole  grains.  I'd like
>to accomodate however I have on small,  large  problem.  I don't have any
>way of threshing the grain short of the old  fashion way of beating it in
>a bag.  Those of you already in the business  know how little time we have
>already.  If any of you have any ideas on how  to cut and tresh or know of
>places where a threshing device can be purchased  reasonably I'd be more
>that greatful the hear from you.  A combine would be  the ideal device
>but I don't believe I could manuver it very well on my  small 15 acre plot
>or cost justify it.   Thanks   Marv H     Badger Botanical  Farms

Hi Marv,

A couple of suggestions.

BCS, the Italian made rear tine tiller has a number of attachment (many
only available in Europe) and they make a mini-combine that fits the BCS.

Could you team up with some other local small farmers and purchase a
combine together or hire a neighbour to combine your grain? Our local
certifying association has formed a spelt growers co-op and purchased a
grain threshing machine. Different screens are available for various seed
sizes and its suitable or cleaning vegetable seeds as well.
Anne