Re: Gulls as Predators

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 MDWitzell@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone else observed gulls pursuing
> landbirds on the wing?  Does anyone have any idea of how a gull would be able
> to successfully capture a landbird in flight, since it lacks the talons of a
> bird of prey?

I haven't observed it personally, but I read a report from Pt. Pelee,
Ontario that mentioned an incident.  Landbird migrants arrive over water
early in the morning there, and this makes them vulnerable.  A Great
Black-backed Gull flying near the point picked off a Blue Jay in flight,
grabbing the jay in its bill.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC