Pinpoint snowy owl?

Dear Carolina Birders:

Should we pinpoint the location of birds such as the recent snowy owl
sighting? Many years ago in the Northeast we had several owls shot by someone
who apparently listened to the local Rare Bird Alert tape, then went out and
killed the birds. This resulted in the precise location of similar birds
being withheld from the tape. Serious birders could always make a few
telephone calls and find out just where they were. My concern is especially
high this year with the whole "Harry Potter" phenomena and snowy owls in
particular. I'd hate to be the birder who finally found the owl after hours
of searching, washed up on the shore with a bullet in it.

Ed Hiestand
Rodanthe, NC