possible black-and-white warbler -- Charlotte

I believe I saw a black-and-white warbler yesterday afternoon while I was
out walking on Progress Lane at the north edge of Evergreen Nature Preserve.

It first caught my attention because it was climbing the trunk of a very
large oak tree like a nuthatch. It continued that behavior moving up and out
to the lower branches.  But it was NOT a nuthatch and, even without my
binoculars, I could see the definite bold white line over the eye above the
black cheek.

They are not supposed to be here in the winter.  However, one was definitely
identified during the Charlotte Christmas Count at Ribbonwalk. So apparently
I've picked up another stray or a very early migrant.

Louise Barden
Charlotte, NC
O: 704-535-1005
Fax: 704-535-6385