Caspian Tern/Lake Julian/Buncombe County

Folks,
        At about 7:15 PM this evening, Yvonne and I were checking Lake
Julian for Forster's Terns.  We have seen them on the 18th of April, 2 years
in a row.  It's a few days late, but it is migration so I figured, what the
hey!  I had just finished checking the buoys, and told Yvonne her punishment
was over, (my wife is not a birder).
I crossed the dam, and off to the left I saw what I first thought was a gull
on the jetty of the containment pond.  I then saw the black cap and the size
of the bird, the large red/orange bill, dark legs and realized it was a
CASPIAN TERN!  It sparred with a Canada Goose near it's nest, stretched it's
wings straight up in the air and then took off across the lake.  I have seen
Caspian Tern in the mountains twice before, but it is always a treat since
they are not a common bird up in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791