Lumber River Birds

On Saturday, April 20th, 12 of us canoed a 12 mile stretch of the Lumber
River from the Lumber River State Park to Fair Bluff on a mixed
birding/recreational trip.  The river, scenery, and birds were beyond
description.  This is a wonderful float.  Since we were in no hurry the
trip took us 6 1/2 hours but I understand that a more typical time is 4
1/2.  The number of birds along the river was almost unbelievable.  Bird
highlights include uncountable numbers of Northern Parula (one is almost
every tree is not that far from the truth), 8+ Acadian Flycatchers, 20+
Great Crested Flycatchers, great looks at 3 Summer Tanagers, 6+ Pileated
Woodpeckers, and 60 Prothonotary Warblers.  Even the nonbirders were
impressed with the Prothonotary Warblers.  I had originally planned to
count all warblers but after an hour on the river I decided to just count
the Prothonotary Warblers and enjoy the ride.  The real purpose of this
trip was to have a Swallow-tailed Kite fly over me but that will need to
wait for another trip.

We rented our canoes from Stacy King (rbo@weblnk.net) at River Bend
Outfitters in Fair Bluff (910 649-6358) for $25 per canoe.  They were
extremely helpful so please give them your business.

Keith E. Camburn
4435 Huntington Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056
704 824-0626