Jordan Lake, NC, spring count

Jordan Lake Spring Bird Count 2002
Compiler's Comments

         May 5, 2002, was a cool, mildly breezy day with temperatures
ranging from 56 F at dawn to 70 F at midday.  The sky was overcast all
morning, clearing in the afternoon; there was no precipitation.  Sixty
observers in 26 parties counted 11,412 individuals (a new record) of 133
species (a bit above our average of 128), during 197 hours in the field
(also a new high).  The combination of this thorough coverage and the fact
that many of our observers are repeaters familiar with the birds and their
count areas has resulted in many new records.

         Of the more unusual species, 11 WILLETS top the list.  They were
seen by Patrick Coin, George and Miao-Fang Altshuller, Marty Girolami, and
Steve Perry -- the first record for this species on this count!  A HORNED
GREBE in alternate (breeding) plumage was seen by Mark Smith and Brian
Strong.  Three parties reported GREAT EGRETS -- Harold Carter, Will Cook
and Bobbie Collins-Perry, and Phil Manning and Rick Payne.   Andy Upshaw
and Rouse Wilson had an AMERICAN KESTREL, and Norm Budnitz and Carol
Williamson had a speeding MERLIN.  Several unusual duck species were
reported -- an AMERICAN BLACK DUCK by Sterling Southern, and 4 RING-NECKED
DUCKS and 1 BUFFLEHEAD by Cook and Collins-Perry.  Brian Bockhahn found 2
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.  Budnitz and Williamson had a LAUGHING GULL
sitting with Ring-billeds at the dam.  A late YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was
found by Loren Hintz, Margaret Vimmerstedt, and the up-and-coming Carl
Hintz.  Katherine Kay and Robin Moran got a 30-second look at a SWAINSON'S
WARBLER that unfortunately did not sing for them.  Chris Canfield and Kate
Finlayson had the opposite problem with a singing GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH that
would not let himself be seen.

We recorded a remarkable 35 (!) species in new record high numbers (or ties
for records).  In addition to some of the species listed above, we recorded
the following:

Great Blue Heron  104
White-breasted Nuthatch  22
Turkey Vulture  210
Brown-headed Nuthatch  93
Mallard  80
Carolina Wren  290
Osprey  45
Eastern Bluebird  259
Red-shouldered Hawk  40
Northern Mockingbird  139
Wild Turkey  4
Brown Thrasher  97
Red-headed Woodpecker  25
Pine Warbler  335
Red-bellied Woodpecker  170
Black-and-white Warbler  58
Downy Woodpecker  54
Ovenbird  234
Hairy Woodpecker  32
Eastern Towhee  198
Great Crested Flycatcher  110
Chipping Sparrow  218
Blue-headed Vireo  16
Northern Cardinal  432
American Crow  442
Brown-headed Cowbird  187
Carolina Chickadee  310
House Finch  117

It is fun to speculate on some of these records, but we don't have any real
supporting data.  For example, the various woodpeckers continue to be
present in large numbers.  Is Hurricane Fran still having an effect?  And
are the various hole-nesters (Great Crested Flycatcher, Chickadee, the
Nuthatches, and Bluebirds) also reaping the benefits of dead trees and
woodpecker work?  Do the record numbers of Vultures and Crows indicate that
our landfills have lots of goodies for scavengers?  Or is it just that we
are simply being more careful (or more liberal) in our reporting of many of
these common species (Mockers, Thrashers, Chippies, Cardinals)?

         We missed Broad-winged Hawk, and American Woodcock only seems to
let us find it every other year or so.  Loggerhead Shrikes have not been
reported since 1992.

         Brian Bockhahn took home the honors with 89 species for the day,
followed closely by Will Cook and Bobbie Collins-Perry with 86.  Brian even
did some of his counting by bicycle.  All in all, we had quite a
respectable count this year and certainly a very pleasant day to be in the
field.  Thanks to all who took part.

                                                 Yours faithfully,

                                                 Norm Budnitz

Norman Budnitz, nbudnitz@duke.edu
919-684-3592 (day), 919-383-0553 (eve), 919-660-7293 (fax)

(work) Biology Dept, Duke Univ, Box 90338, Durham NC 27708
(home) 4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)