Re: So that's a water trap!

I tried the cooking oil instead of water once in the ant guards.  It worked
just fine until it rained.  The oil floated on the rainwater, slopped over
the side and made for one really oily hummer feeder.  Of course if you get
as little rain as we have lately, maybe it's no big deal.  As often as one
needs to change the nectar anyway, refilling the moat with good ole tap
water should not be too much of a burden.

We have not been doing much birding around these parts, but have gotten out
west to see some of those species.  Recently we spent 5 hours (yes) driving
back and forth through the Pawnee National Grassland in Colorado looking for
Mountain Plover.  Finally found a few, but boy it was hard.  The grasslands
are really having a tough time of it.  On the flip side McCown's Longspurs
were a dime a dozen.  If anyone is headed to Pawnee or Rocky Mt National
Park and wants an update on birding conditions let me know!  We also
recently did the Pacific Northwest with some birding on the Oregon coast and
at Mt. Rainier so we can fill in on activities there as well.

Have a great weekend!

Steve Shultz
Apex, NC