Re: Phoebes

>The second set of hatchlings flew the coop this week.  I don't think >I've
>noticed two sets of young in one year before.  Thus my first >question.
>What are the breeding habits of the eastern phoebe?  Should >I expect any
>further mating activity this year?

I have had eastern phoebes nesting under our eaves since we built the house
in 1990. I was 12 at the time and didn't start observing them seriously
until the past several years. They typically nest on the gutter pipes, but
have been known to nest on lamp fixtures (even the one by the front door!)
We almost always have two broods. According to the Audubon Backyard
Birdwatcher book, there may be up to three, and the typical breeding season
is April thru June. Our second brood fledged June 22. (First brood, 4 out of
5 hatched and fledged; Second, 4 out of 4 hatched and fledged). I am curious
to see if there will be a third.

>The reason I ask is that we plan to have the house painted this Summer >or
>very early Fall and do not want to disrupt their nest; this leads >to the
>next question.  When it is 'safe' to paint, how should we >temporarily
>remove the nest while painters are in that area?
>Thanks.

I would rather someone with more knowledge/experience answer this question.
Nevertheless, I will share my experience. Last year I took down a nest after
the first brood fledged;  they nested by the front door (very messy!). I
used bird netting to keep them from rebuilding there and put up a nest shelf
on the back of the house, where they did rebuild for their second brood.
This year they used the same shelf. (A pair of carolina wrens used another
shelf I put up.)

Hope this helps a little!

Leah Campbell     3/4/78
Blackstock, SC