Re: Pigmy Nuthatch

All winter Janet and I had a pair of pigmy nuthatches, bedecked in
appropriate plumage, visiting our feeder.  This spring we noticed that the
feathers on the head kept getting lighter and lighter until today the top
of the head is more light tan than brown.

We now have 3 birds coming to the feeder, presumably 2 adults and one
juvenile.  They all have the same light colored top knot.

 From what I have observed this year what we are seeing is not a regional
subspecies, or a juvenile plumage.

Tom

Tom Krakauer