Re: Worm-eating Warbler

Bill and CarolinaBirders,

I have been seeing quite a few posts on CarolinaBirds recently all with a
question of the form "Does X breed in South Carolina?" This is a tough
question to answer, since there is no single place that keeps track of all
breeding records for the state. But Internet users should be aware that many
of these questions may be answered by visiting the web site of the South
Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas project. Check out
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/wild/bbatlas/bba.html

>From this I see that there are a few records of Worm-eating Warbler from the
South Carolina Piedmont found during the atlas project. In particular there
is a confirmed breeding record from extreme northwestern Chesterfield County
(which is just inside the Piedmont) and a probable breeding record for
eastern Cherokee County, near the York County line, which implied probable
breeding in the Kings Mountain Parks area, where there is a lot of suitable
habitat for this species. I myself found a Worm-eating Warbler singing in
Kershaw County, near the Fairfield County line. This shows up on the BBA map
as a "possible breeding" record. This was in Sandhills habitat, not
Piedmont, however.

The Worm-eating Warbler is well known as an early migrant in the fall. It is
not at all uncommon to find one away from its breeding grounds in July.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com