Re: Questions

Dianne & Carolinabirders-

At 10:20 AM 2/20/00 EST, you wrote:
>I have a couple questions regarding "countables" for the GBBC this weekend.
>Do you count flyovers?

Yes. Like all of your sightings, include them in the zip code that you see
them in. Make a note in the comment box that this was a "flyover."

What about "heard only"?

If you're confident about your id, count it. For many birders (and in the
case of many birds), an audio id is more reliable than a visual one.

If I have a list that I
>kept Friday at work do I enter that as a separate list from the one I kept
at
>home?

A good guideline is postal code. If your work place is in a different
postal code then your home is in, keep different lists.

How or do I list birds seen in a different neighborhood that I
>happened to be driving through?

If they're roughly in the same geographical location (postal code), you can
include them on one count.

Be sure not to combine counts from different days, though.

Also, I'll assume Buddy commented on Josh's post before he read mine, so I
won't go into detail about our editing process again. I will remind
everyone, though, that the data up at the site right now are raw data. We
appreciate your feedback.

Good birding, and thanks for your interest in the GBBC!

Allison Wells
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Ithaca, NY
http://birds.cornell.edu