Kinglets-temperatures

For those that are tiring of this thread, I will not be offended if you delete
now :-)

Will reminded me that the low temp during the recent severe weather episode was
1 degree on the 28th.  Shaken by this, I wanted to see if I could back up my
hypothesis that the temperatures accompanying the recent weather were not
particularly extreme for the area.  I looked online at wral-tv.com and played
around with some of the historical weather data.  Basically I looked for periods
when the average daily temperatures were at or below freezing for consecutive
days.  I found 1 event in 2000, 1 in '99, 1 in '97, 2 in '96 and 1 in '95.  98
was a warm year and didn't have much to speak of in the way of cold weather.
The 2000 event had an average daily temp of 25.14 degrees over 7 days.  This
compares rather evenly to the other events: 1/4-1/6/99 avg. 27; 1/17-1/19/97
avg. 24; 1/6-1/12/96 avg. 29.14; 2/1-2/6/96 avg. 22; 2/5-2/9/95 avg. 26.2.  It
seems that we experience conditions as cold as the recent event with some
regularity.  Did each of the events also accompany a reduction in the numbers of
kinglets?  Don't know.

I'm thinking that if the event did cause a high mortality of kinglets, it may
not have been solely due to temperature.  After all, RC kings winter in much
more severe areas than NC, notably the upper midwest and central plains.  GC
kings appear even more cold hardy, wintering in areas from Wisconsin to Maine.

Granted the snowfall with this event was somewhat unusual for the area, would
this affect the standard food sources of kinglets?

Regards,
Steve Shultz
Cary, NC
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please